June 17, 2012

MY SECRETS TO PACKING FOR A TRIP

Type of Trip: Touring Europe, Shopping and Partying
Duration: 2 weeks
Allowable Baggage: 1 carry-on baggage (10 lbs - that is like for two outfits including shoes - which is like NOTHING!) and 1 check-in (40 lbs)

Put your outfits into ziplock bags to organize them by day!

To generalize what I do, I always pack the exact outfit I will be wearing for everyday of my trip. If the day is not what I expected I just switch my outfits but eventually I will end up wearing whatever as planned since I do not want to waste time figuring out what to wear. I have taught many of my friends this and they are able to pack with ease and with good time. I hope that you find my tips useful and eventually enjoy packing in the future! Enjoy...

Rules of Packing: Pack 2 outfits per day. 
  • 1 for touring or general activities (day-time) 
  • 1 for dinners, parties, pub or clubbing (evening)
  • (If I was going to the Cuba or anywhere south - I will pack 3 outfits per day).
  • Pack only what you need but if you must add 1 or 2 items, they must match 50% of your outfits or else it is not worth losing the luggage space
  • MUST pack 1 shoes for dark clothes and 1 for light. This is the hardest rule for me cause I have lots of colourful clothing - so I tend to bring an extra pair that has all the colours of the rainbow so I don't feel frustrated not having the right shoes
  • Bring a jacket or blazer even if you are going to Cuba, the weather always gets colder at night
  • Make a checklist
  • After you are done packing, lock up the suitcase or else you will add more than you need!!
Make sure you wear comfortable warm clothes! It is always freezing in the airplane. 

What you will need: 
  1. Zip-lock bags or any clear bags (to put clothes in or package outfits together)
  2. Black sharpie (label the type of outfit ie. daywear, alternates, evening wear)
  3. Labels - (if you do not have a sharpie, use labels to organize your bags if you do not have any ziplock bags)
  4. Jewellery Box (I use one box to put all the jewellery I will wear for the trip)
  5. Small Purse (for all important travel documents and for touring outfits)
  6. Luggage (reasons for this are obvious)
  7. Most Importantly: Big Purse (For your jewellery and expensive stuff. I do not feel comfortable checking in my jewellery so I always carry it my purse because the carry-on luggage is for my favourite dresses or shoes that I cannot afford to lose)
  8. Tip: I put all the heavy stuff in my purse and then after it has been weighted by the travel agent, I put everything in my carry on!!

Here I am at the airport... Enjoy your travels everyone!!!



No comments: